Because educators have used the word
"assessment" in a variety of ways, it is important to understand its specific
definition in education today. Educational Service Unit 10 has identified five
fundamental questions to use in discussing and defining assessment:
- How are your stated student learning outcomes
appropriate to your mission, programs, and degrees?
- What evidence do you have that students achieve your
stated learning outcomes?
- In what ways do you analyze and use evidence of student
- How do you ensure shared responsibility for assessment
of student learning?
- How do you evaluate and improve the effectiveness of
your efforts to assess and improve student learning?
is available to assist schools and staff with all of the above. Some of the
research and resources we utilize can be found from the following researchers
and authors; Marzano,
O'Connor, Stiggins, McNulty, Spandel, et al.
ESU 10 NeSA Assessment Podcasts
NeSA Assessment Links